Driftwood crafts made from roots and boards from shipwrecks tossed about
in the ocean or in fresh water lakes and rivers are unique and full of
The weathering that takes place as tides wash up the flotsam and jetsam
onto the sand and beach stones, then back out again gives driftwood a
patina that is hard to emulate.
Sandblasting can give a similar look, but the silvery colour of a truly genuine piece of driftwood can’t be copied.
I like to find gnarled and twisted roots that will make a driftwood root planter, or wiggly twigs to make into impressive twig handles for a root basket or trug.
Using some of the driftwood found on far away trips and holidays for crafts gives your memories a true home.
Beach combing for driftwood is a soul deep experience that will stick
with you. I love the smell of the ocean, the texture of the sand and
pebbles, and finding some treasures to take home only makes that time
even more precious and memorable.
Some areas to visit that have very good potential for driftwood gathering are in the Gulf Islands of Georgia Strait.
is given a real going over with so many of the rocky coastlines and
wooded areas contributing their roots and trees to the maelstrom.
incessant pounding of tides and storms gives this type of driftwood the
required patina and weathering, making it silky smooth and silver grey.
If you collect weathered roots and things from salt water, rinse them off in fresh water to remove the excess salt before using them.
Crafts to make using your precious stock of driftwood:
- Driftwood Mirror Frame – an old antiqued mirror framed with
silvery grey driftwood – accent this with some shells or small stones.
- Driftwood picture frames for those who like their decor nautical.
- Driftwood Dining Table
– with sturdy legs of branches or weathered timbers topped with planks
tumbled in the ocean, this will be the perfect back drop to a home
cooked meal on your collection of handmade pottery.
- Driftwood Tables – side tables, night tables – wherever you need a small table for a lamp, books or other items.
- Driftwood Bench – gardens have never looked better than from a seat on a weathered plank bench.
- Driftwood Planters – planted with Drought Smart Plants, intricately twisted roots or smooth platters.
Pergola – the silvery grey patina of weathered driftwood makes a
driftwood pergola especially lovely when covered with vines and
- Natural Driftwood Sculptures - the perfect use for showcasing natures artistry and sculpting ability.
- Rustic Wooden Boxes – storage at it’s finest in a box weathered by only the best storms.
Learn what it takes to be creative - we all have the gene but how do we develop it? Get the free guide! Fill in the form below for your copy; (Don't be disappointed - use an email address that will accept the free download - some .aol email addresses won't. If you don't see your download within a few minutes, try again with another email address - sorry for the bother.)